2018 Photo Competition Gallery
Theme: What makes our outback special?
Rules of Entry
- Entries close at 5pm on Saturday 31 March 2018.
- Entries are to be submitted via the entries portal at lifeandlight.com.au after the completion of an online entry form. – image files must be named in accordance with the photo title on the entry form. Hard copies or photos submitted on a USB will not be accepted. All photos must be submitted through an online account at http://lifeandlight.com.au
- Subject matter is restricted to the locality of the Local Land Services Western Region and should address the theme of this year’s competition: “What makes our outback special?”. For more information on the Local Land Services Western Region go to nsw.gov.au/our-regions/whats-my-region.
- To celebrate the competitions 20th year there will be a new category – “20 Years of Light and Light”. This category is for photos that have been entered into the competition in the last 20 years and do not have to fit the above theme. The photos in this category are not entered automatically from previous competitions but must be entered by the photographer. When submitting into this category entrants must (if possible) provide the competition year and photo title from which it was previously entered. Only 1 photo per entrant can be submitted to this category (unlike 4 per person for other categories). "20 Years of Life and Light" photos will be eligible for the People’s Choice Award.
- A result from last year’s feedback is that the 2018 competition will have a new “Professional” category. For the first time professional photographers can enter the Life and Light Photo Competition. This category will only be available to people who have one of the following:Website: a professional photographer must have a website with organised portfolios displaying the types of photography in which they specialize. If you are a landscape photographer, the prospective clients should be able to view 20+ unique examples of your quality work. This way the client can see a “body or work” and examine it for consistency and quality. A Facebook or Instagram page of a professional nature is included in this definition of a website.
Insurance: a professional photographer must have business liability insurance. They should be dealing with contracts, not handshakes, so insurance is important.Accomplishments: a professional photographer should have at least one of the following:
~ Have their work published in a magazine, newspaper etc.
~ Organised and directed a photographic outing with a group of photographic novices.
~ Have put on a photographic show of their work.
~ Have received acclaim in a nationwide photo contest.
~ Presented at a photographic workshop
Money: a professional photographer would earn more than 50 percent of his or her annual income from photography.
People who fit this definition of a professional photographer are not able to enter into any category other that the “Professional” category. The “Professional” category will allow for black and white or colour photographs but not accept photos that have been digitally enhanced. It will only have one prize of $1000 and like other categories (except “20 Years of Life and Light”) the photos must have been taken within the last 2 years. “Professional” photos will not be allowed to enter the “People’s Choice” category as the focus of the competition will still be on amateur photographers.
- Photographs should have been taken no earlier than January 2016, must be unpublished and should not have won any other competition open to the general public. Photos submitted into “20 Years of Life and Light” category are exempt from this rule in that they can be taken within the last 20 years provided those photos have been entered into one of the previous Life and Light competitions.
- Overview of Category Entry Requirements
For colour photographs + Open division available for all ages + Photo content must be from within the Western Local Land Services Region + Photo must have been taken after 1 Jan 2016
For colour photographs + High School division open to school Years 7 - 12 + Photo content must be from within the Western Local Land Services Region + Photo must have been taken after 1 Jan 2016Colour Primary:
For colour photographs + Primary School division open to school Years K - 6 + Photo content must be from within the Western Local Land Services Region + Photo must have been taken after 1 Jan 2016Black and White Open:
For black and white photographs + Open division available for all ages + Photo content must be from within the Western Local Land Services Region + Photo must have been taken after 1 Jan 2016
Black and White Secondary:
For black and white photographs + High School division open to school Years 7 - 12 + Photo content must be from within the Western Local Land Services Region + Photo must have been taken after 1 Jan 2016
Black and White Primary:
For black and white photographs + Primary School division open to school Years K - 6 + Photo content must be from within the Western Local Land Services Region + Photo must have been taken after 1 Jan 2016
For digitally enhanced photographs + Open division available for all ages + photo content must be from within the Western Local Land Services Region + Photo must have been taken after 1 Jan 2016
All photos entered into the Colour, Black and White and Digitally Enhanced Categories automatically go into this category as well. The winner is determined by votes/likes that occur on our facebook page. (please add a link to facebook page here)Professional:
See point 5 above
20 Years Life and Light:
Open to photos that have been entered into a previous Life and Light competition + 2018 theme not required
- Entries will be limited to 4 photos per category per person. Any photos entered in excess of this will not be considered. Entrants can only enter 1 photo into the “20 Years of Life and Light” category and the photo must have been submitted into a previous Life and Light competition.
- The copyright of each entry submitted remains with the photographer, however, Western Local Land Services and Western Landcare NSW reserve the right to use any entry for promotional purposes. Each sponsor reserves the right to use any entry submitted to their corresponding category.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. The judging panel comprises of a Local Land Services Western nominee, a Western Landcare NSW nominee and a professional photographer.
- Notification of shortlisted nominations will be sent via email and a phone call as well as being published on the Local Land Services Western Region and Western Landcare NSW websites and Facebook pages.
- Prizes will be awarded as set out for each category to winners and second place. A “Highly Commended’ prize for each category will also be presented. See guidelines and website for more details on categories and prizes.
- The Life and Light in the Western Region Photographic Competition 2017 is open to ALL interested persons except judges of the competition and their immediate family, Western Local Land Services and Western Landcare employees, Western Local Land Services Board Members and Western Landcare NSW Steering Committee Members.
- In order to be suitable for publication, photographs that are submitted must be of medium to high resolution in JPEG (.jpg) format. The file needs to be a minimum 2000 pixels on longest side for website uploads and a maximum 5000 pixels at a max 10MB in size. Winners of the competition may be contacted to supply larger format images if available for exhibition purposes. NOTE: Large files may take some time to load, depending on your internet speed - please be patient when uploading.
- Each entrant must create a login at lifeandlight.com.au that will consist of that entrant’s name, address, and contact telephone number. For each photograph submitted the entrant must provide the title, location (property or town), year of the photograph and the category it is to be entered into. If possible the competition year and title must be provided for photos entered into the “20 Years of Life and Light”category.
- Votes for the People's Choice award will close on the 15 April at 11:59pm. Winners will be announced at the Broken Hill Ag Fair on the 4th of May at 4pm.